Sunday, February 1, 2009

Sabbath

Today has been a good Sabbath. My heart always knew I was capable of one.
I frequently will start my Sabbath observance on Saturday night. Mentally preparing for how I would like the day to be different. I was voice to our family prayer last night and mentioned some of my feelings or hopes for this day. This is after my family spent some time talking about Superbowl.
My one son woke up and he came into my room and we watched something we had never seen before on the BYU channel. He then decided to prepare for his very first talk in Sacrament meeting for next week. I am excited for him and tried to show him some ways in which I prepare for something like this. He was very receptive and it was good to teach him and then let him do his own thing.
At church I bore testimony, always a good invite for the spirit.
During the 3 hour instead of Primary, all of the woman went to RS. Priesthood brethren took over everything! I am so happy to be in a ward in which we have willing talented men, I was not concerned over the care of "my" kids or program. I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall just because I'm curious.
I am grateful to belong to an organization that asks people to do things, that normally wouldn't be.
I am grateful for the VT & HT programs.
Quick story. My grandma belongs to another faith. She faithly took her children to church without her husband. She helped with rummage sales, coffee socials, and I have no doubt many other things. She sang in the choir for decades. She grew older. She is old. All of her friends have passed away. She needed assistance to live, so her children carefully picked out her retirement home. My mom called her pastor. Would someone be willing to pick her up and drive her to church? No.
My mom made some arrangements for a few weeks but gave up after that. The answer was no.
I was surprised by the pastor answer. I thought it was unchristian of him and his congregation. But so is my judgment of them. I am sad for Grandma. I am sad for my mother. I am sad for the people who will never get to know this sassy, funny, talented lady on their way to and from church.
My family is getting their snacks together for Superbowl. I am going to try and be a strong example and do other more appropriate things. I hope I can.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

You are a wonderful woman and I love you!