Thursday, September 11, 2008

Nine Eleven

Just thinking about where I was. I was asleep when my hubby called up to say one of the twin towers was on fire. I turned on the news, not terribly interested, but watched so I could report back to hubby what he was missing. I watched a plane in the sky and listened to Matt Lauer exclaim, "Is that another plane?!" I watched the plane disappear and then the other tower caught fire. Latter the pentagon was hit. I decided to be glued to the TV and watch and at some point we decided our kids would not be going to school that day. I don't remember some details of that day but have some vivid images that have stayed with me.

I had agreed to baby sit for a friend before hand and when she dropped off her daughter, I was surprised that she was still going to the dentist. She had been going about her normal day and had not realized our world had changed. She later confided that it hit her pretty hard. She had had personal experience with her father's life being at risk while serving our country.

My daughter and I sat on my back porch a few days later and heard and saw an airplane. My heart raced and we were both scared. I listened for the crash. I didn't hear one. Again another airplane later, I listened for the crash. This went on for a few days. There are times even still today, I listen for the crash. I grew up near Air Forces Bases. I grew up listening to air craft. As a newly married couple we lived just off the Naval Station for test pilots.
"You hear that sound? That's the sound of Freedom" No longer sounds the same for me.

We were under attack. Here. This is my country. This is my home. This was something that only happened in other countries that we heard about in the news. How? WHY?

There is a song that I loved that now I can not here with out experiencing the same emotions that I felt that day,
"It's the End of the World..as we Know it."

No comments: