Thursday, April 30, 2009

Swine Flu

I am being conservative in my panic. Here’s why.

Flu symptoms are easily treated. There is easy access to literature on the subject, medication and to health care professionals. Washing hands and having good basic hygienic habits helps in prevention of colds and flu.

Here is how I would treat my family once prevention failed. Once someone had a fever I would start with 1 dose of Acetaminophen every 4 hours. If that did NOT control the fever with in a day, or stopped controlling the fever, I would then start (the doctor approved) alternating every 2 hours of Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen. If that did NOT bring the fever down, we would go to our local doctor. If they are overwhelmed then we would go to our local hospital/ER. If they were overwhelmed I would bring my family member to our bathtub filled with cold water, ice and rubbing alcohol for a time. I would bring the fever down! At some point I would ask for a priesthood blessing.

I have on hand right now;
50 gallon drum of clean water
500 caplets of 500mg Acetaminophen (from Costco)
750 tablets of 200mg Ibuprofen (from Costco)
4 oz Children’s Tylenol (from Costco)
4 oz Children’s Motrin (from Costco)
20 capsules (10 days) of prescription Tamiflu
Various cold medicines for comfort

Here is what I still need to do;
Buy more children’s medication, at least 2 of each Costco size
Buy more adult medication, Costco size
Find out the ratio of cold water, ice and rubbing alcohol
Maybe buy more rubbing alcohol
Let my local friends and neighbors know they may have access to my help if and when the stores run out of medications

I am not panicked. “If ye are prepared ye shall not fear”

2 comments:

Jeanelle said...

Is it bad that we communicate more on blog comments than in person? Yes, I think so! ;) Thanks for this post. We are talking at work most of each day about this possible pandemic so it makes me worry a bit. Your post helped me to feel better.

Jazzy said...

I know, I like a good plan. I'm calling you if we have a scare!