Monday, April 27, 2009

How they came

When I was a child I thought and acted like a child. Raise up a child in the way she should go and when she is old she will not part from it.

Growing up when it was our birthday we got to pick a restaurant and we also got to ride upfront w/our parents. It was a big deal and great! One time we were at a nicer than Burger King place and the older couple at the table next to us finished up their dinner and came over. He told my dad that he had the most well behaved children he had ever seen. First off, we were surprised a total stranger came to the table and second, "What did he say? What did he say?!" After Daddy told us we sat their quite not knowing what to say or do. I felt surprised and honored. Our behavior was our "normal". It was nice for the total stranger to take the 20 seconds to mention his observation and surprising that after all these years that one of the little girls still remembers his kind words.

This Saturday we had a couple adult guys over and most of the family sat down and talked with them. One of them came up later and told me that I had the most polite children and asked how we raised such well behaved kids. I smiled remembering my childhood experience. This is actually not the first time I've been told I have polite kids. How did we do it? I don't know? Example? I am big on R-E-S-P-E-C-T (Aretha in back ground here). I told my kids. I then asked them how and they said "We came that way."

I agree! Kids come from Father in Heaven. We just have to not mess what He gave us.

1 comment:

Jeanelle said...

I know you know what I think about your kids but I'll tell you again and put it in print for all of the world to see! You have kind, thoughtful, respectful and fun kids. Your son (Glenn, I think?) was the one who was so worried about me "living alone" when I was the Primary chorister all those years ago. He couldn't have been more than 6 or 7? Your kids are the ones who impressed me by always having their arms folded when walking through the chapel. Your kids are just special -- thanks to Heavenly Father but also to you and Dale for doing such a great job raising them.