Thursday, October 23, 2008

Sick

I am just sick and beside myself. An "incident" happened a couple of week ago when my child was away at outdoor school. An older school child in a position of authority told a group of boys about his "orientation". I was fairly pleased with how the "situation" was handled by my child and the responsible adults there, so I did not feel the need to do anymore than what had already occurred.
Until today.
The same kid walked by our home and "flipped off" my 2 youngest. My kids were looking at him through the window and I talked to my kids that no one likes to feel intimidated by people starring at them. Still he shouldn't have flipped them off. I am trying to handle this now. I am feeling upset and sick over it. The lack of respect. There are appropriate ways to deal with situations and there are bad ways to handle them and then there are really bad ways. Which will I choose?
I am a person who will git up'n yur grill when I feel my kids are being hurt. I have a long history of defending the "innocent" or underdog even at my own peril. My family knows this about me. My hubby is similar. This is not enough for my children.
I am thinking about my home. I am thinking about how my home feels. I am thinking about the things that take place here and the things that do not, good and bad. I need to do more to raise these children to be defenders of the faith, stand for truth, stand for righteous behavior, armor them up. I do have control over this home. I do not have hardly any at what occurs outside it. I need to do more. Much More.

There is a RS lesson I taught around 14 years ago that comes to mind. I think I'll go read it.
Maybe that is the medicine I need today for my illness.

2 comments:

Jazzy said...

I'm sorry, that does sound awful. It's so hard to know what to do with the world like it is. From my experience, however, I always see you make "right" choices, so I'm confident you will figure out the best solution for your home and family.

lilibet said...

That is one scary kid.I'd talk to his mom, but likely his mom is either completely uninterested in his life or thinks whatever he does is just self-expression. It's unfortunate he lives that close to you.