Thursday, May 22, 2008

Culture

Multi-Cultural Night at the Elementary school tonight. I was so excited for it I helped set up tables and walls decor before it started. Anything to make it a success. It was the first time they ever put it on and it was great! Well attended! Lots of dance, music, food, activities, and the displays were wonderful!

When I see someone who doesn't "look like" me. I am always curious. "Why did they come here?" "What did they have to leave behind?" "What do they think of this place?" "How are they getting along?" "Why do they dress like that?" "What does it mean, if anything? "What do they eat?" "How could they do that? How could they leave 'home'?" I want to know their stories. I have so much admiration for them.

I am from no where? Every single one of my ancestral lines was here before the civil war. Every single traceable line pre-dates the American Revolution. I "look like" most Euro-American mutts. I know Ireland and most likely England. Probably some German and maybe some Scottish highland.

I knew I couldn't stay tonight (sick kid at home alone). But was then glad for the excuse to leave after a half hour or so. My youngest saw me tear up and asked if I was OK.

Maybe the tears are from the little girl in me. When moving around with the Air-Force and asked "Where are you from?" I would answer, "My parents are from Indiana." I called no place home. For medical reasons several years ago I was asked where my ancestors were from. The guy thought I was smarting off when I said "Here". He pressed me more and the bewildered look on my face upset him even more than my answer. I finally gave in with "We came from Ireland 300 years ago." One guy from one country does that count?

How long do "we" have to live here before we can say we are "from" here? I want to honor the Native American, so I can't say I'm from here.
How does this sound? "Where are you from?" "I am a Non-Native American."

I live in the United States of America. I love living in the melting pot.

No comments: