Monday, February 18, 2008

Videos

We finally rented “Across the Universe”. The special features, music video part, were fantastic!
Fun choreography and the redone Beatles music was good also. But alas that was all that was enjoyable. Maybe we’ll get the CD soundtrack but forget the DVD.

“Becoming Jane” was SO good! I watched it 2 times and watched a particular scene at the end 5 times! In the special features Anne Hathaway states she had never worked with James McAvoy but he was like working with a future legend (I think that was the word she used). I must admit I am now a fan of his. I had only seen him in “Narnia” but will go looking for more. I do like Anne Hathaway and she held her own, but wonder if I would have “bought” the romance between the two more with a different actress. I can’t think of any that age that would have done better.

Several of Jane Austen books are in several versions out on video and I have to watch them more than once to get the full dialogue. I think that they are basically the same story, a Cinderella story. Poor girl of good character struggles but ultimately get the rich guy.

I have never read any Jane Austen books. I don’t like fiction. It has always felt like a waste of time. If I am going to take the time to read I want to learn something. I can not wait to get my hands on a bio of Jane Austen herself now. Who knows maybe I’ll even try a book or two of hers.

Going out to a rustic winter cabin won’t update for awhile.

2 comments:

Jazzy said...

I just rented this last weekend too! I lOVED it! Phil fell asleep during it while I stayed up clapping my hands. We did Redbox, so I didn't get a chance to re-watch it, but I'll have to do that. I've attempted to read some Jane Austen, and although I love her writing, its definitely not an easy read (for me anyway). I read for 20 minutes and realize I've only gotten through three pages.

lilibet said...

I forgot that Becoming Jane was even out! I'll have to see it. I feel compelled to tell you to watch PBS at 9 on Sunday (if you watch tv on Sunday of course) for Austen works through March, I believe. They are finishing up P&P, which I know you just saw, so watch next week. A lot of these are new productions. :) It's heaven. Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know. Yeah, the plots are the same, but she's so FUNNY! Her books are more character-centered than plot-centered, but! she is the first of her genre. She basically invented the romance novel. I love her.