Friday, November 9, 2012

Elections

I went to work at King County Elections for 16 days. I was a "Signature Verifier", one out of 40. I loved it! I was trained for 2 days on how to recognize similarities and difference on signatures and to verify that it was the actual voter. It would take me anywhere from 40 to 20 minutes to verify 250 signatures through the scanned computer system, usually taking me 25 minutes. I would have to read each persons name on the data base, then again on the voter registration signature and read a third time on the ballet envelope, then compare the 2 signatures. I would "challenge" anywhere from 8 to 40 signatures per 250, usually 20. What would get "challenged" would be things like no signature on the ballet, someone signing the wrong envelope, but usually it was when the signatures didn't match (in my opinion).
After an envelope was verified it would go to "opening" or if it was challenged it would go through further reviews. Then a ballet would be scanned and tabulated.
In Washington state we do elections completely by a mail in ballet system. In  King County (the 13 largest county in the nation) there are 1.2 million registered voters. We were hoping for about a million to actually vote. Dale will have actual numbers when it is all said and done.
I loved the work and the people I worked with were great! I loved having a reason to get dressed and put on some fun make up. Not my usual pajama days.
I am also glad it is over. I don't know how working moms do it all! I'm really glad I don't have to, Thank You Dale! Mark is even glad I'm home now when he gets home from school. I can get back into reading my scriptures every day now too.
Now back to being "just a mom" and getting some more quilts done.

2 comments:

Natalie Smith said...

Sounds exciting, but I can see how your family missed their Mama. What a blessing to be able to be with them like you are!

lilibet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.