Am I the only one that still tears up? With new shows with new footage it brings a different perspective. I fast forwarded many parts though.
I remember Dale calling me after he dropped Jamie off to seminary and watched the second plane hit. I was watching the TODAY Show and remember Matt Lauers stunned reaction. I was glued to the TV for hours. I wouldn't let my kids go to school until later. I babysat Emily H. so her mom could go to the dentist. My world stopped and was surprised it didn't stop for others (it hit Karen later). I remember not hearing any airplanes for days. Then days later I remember sitting on my bedroom porch when an airplane did fly by and I started to cry, I was scared and listened for an explosion. Dale and I went through a mental list of east coast friends and figured they were ok. Dale's company, at the time, had equipment close by and he got (gruesome) first hand accounts from a co-worker.
I became an arrogant American. "Don't mess with us!" I watched and was fine with our military going into Afghanistan. I watched Collin Powell closely when he talked about WMD in Iraq to the UN. I trusted him. That seems so long ago now.
I'm glad that this year for our stake/ward put the day to good use in service to the community. Kim blogged about it. (sorry I am copying your idea) My family worked at an overwhelming weeding project. The picnic afterward was put on by the city of Renton and was great!
1 comment:
That was a horrible day for almost everyone in the country. I felt dazed for days and days, like everything was surreal. I started seeing signs on buses that told us to look out for suspicious packages, etc. I would get nervous whenever I saw an Arab boarding my plane (and still do, a little. It's not like the problem has been taken care of.)I almost signed up to do ROTC at college and be a linguist in the military, which I am so glad I didn't do now.
Post a Comment