Friday, May 8, 2009

Customer Service

At the age of 16 I got a job at a McDonald's just opening up. It became the premier of McDonald's. A few years later in another state I was working at a McDonald's when I learned of my original store reputation for greatness. We had great customer service. It's all been down hill since.
This past week I experienced some rare good customer service. I was buying a sewing/quilting machine, I had my name for a used Juki 98 and they sold it to someone else. I was upset. He gave me a brand new machine for the same price as the used and even through in for free an attachment I wanted. When I picked up the machine they forgot to give me the owner's/operator manual. When I went back to pick it up they gave me a free tote bag. I've driven to the store 5 times and talked with them on the phone 4 times. They did right by me in the end.
I won't go into the details of this next one. I was charged double what I expected in ordering something. When I called to set it straight I was polite and professional but the owner of the business was having a difficult time doing the same with me so he stopped and put his wife, the other owner, on the phone. She handled me very well. I was at fault in not clearly communicating what I wanted. Shame on me. The owner is willing to refund me a little of the money, they were at some fault too.
I am still working on a dispute between insurance and a doctor. So far everyone is polite.
Customer Service isn't what it used to be but sometime I find pockets of good ones. I am always surprised & happy when I am greeted by a genuinely happy person at some fast food place like McDonald's.

No comments: