Saturday, September 7, 2013

My Stripling Warriors


This book "What Latter-day Stripling Warriors Learn from Their Mothers" came out in 1996, when I had a new born son and a 2 year old son and a 9 year old daughter. I wanted to know how to be the best mom I could possibly be for these 3 special spirits that came to me with their own personalities, so different from my own. As I read it, I felt the spirit and was moved to be a more spiritual mom. I yearned for my children to doubt not what their mother knew.

Fast forward to 2013, 17 years later. I was cleaning out books from our library and I saw this and decided to read it again. I wanted to see if I had "measured up" to what I had felt years before. I thought I would read it on the drive to take Glenn to college. I didn't have the courage to. Well I finally read it, finishing most of it today. I cried nearly all the way through.

Did we read scriptures enough? Did we have meaningful Family Home Evenings enough? Did I play enough? Did I teach enough? Did I testify of my Savior enough? Did we pray as a family enough? Did I do enough? The answer is always no, hence the tears today. Maybe I set the bar to high for myself, as in, Did I do all those things perfectly? The answer is always no. Maybe I need to answer what I asked myself in the first place, Enough? I think I'll have to wait for a long time still to know that answer.

3 comments:

Koko said...

Oh Sheryl - we all fall short in many areas. Our children come to us having lived perhaps a full life before they come to us. Our job is to nurture and do the best we can with those things you've listed. I think the biggest, besides teaching them to love God, is for us to love them unconditionally and make sure that they know that we do. I have no doubt that you've done that and continue to do that!

Natalie Smith said...

Sheryl, you are being to hard on yourself. You are a great example of being a wonderful Mother. We never know the influence we have or feel appreciated much as we go through the long days/years. You have planted seeds and nurtured those seeds. You are the best mother for those sweet spirits! Thank you for your example!

Jamie said...

I can think of so many examples of how I look up to you. Your faith and commitment to the gospel. Also you've given me a better perspective on understanding others. I'm never afraid to ask any spiritual questions.