Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Godspell, very belated

This is very late. Glenn bugs me to post it though, so here it is from memory.

When I first heard that Kentridge was going to do the musical "Godspell", I said to myself, "Uh Oh! Oh man, that means I have to get involved!" I waited a little while to see if it would change, it didn't. So I started investigating about the play, all I knew was the '70's movie version played Jesus as a clown. Not appropriate.
Glenn got a part. We "let him" stay in the play.
I sent an email to Mrs. "G" and voiced my concerns of how Deity would be portrayed. She invited me to a meeting for religious leaders. I invited Bishop Larsen but he would be out of town and told me to forward him the information so that he could send it on to President Taggart. I didn't follow up and do it. I just went to the meeting myself. There were 4 LDS people there. I was happy with how the meeting went. I was able to voice my concerns and to hear other peoples concerns as well. The one thing that struck me the most of someone else concerns was that they stay true to the script. I had supposed that that person had scene the play that he was not pleased with and I was impressed that I was not alone in some of my concerns.
I still didn't know what the results of the meeting would translate into the performance.
I said to myself, "I have got to get involved!" I volunteered for as much as I felt I could handle. I chaired the Lobby Decorations and had lots of help from Dale & Rachel in putting it together. A couple of parents helped for 4 hours putting it up. I had told them it would only take 2. Live and Learn. Mark and I put up all the posters at Kent Station. I was surprised most businesses said yes. I took food for 2 meals. I helped with selling concessions at every performance where I was not already busy with something else other than Godspell (except closing night).
The first night I saw it, I found the beginning of the stories/play confusing. I could follow the parables but couldn't always here what the cast was saying/singing. The guy playing Jesus (Eli) was GREAT! He portrayed Jesus just as I would have hoped. Just like an LDS seminary class acting out the parables. It was true to the parables in modern terminology and funny but not offensive (I would have done a few things artistically different, but over all not offensive)
Then came the Last Supper, reverently done (I tear up even now). The Garden of Gethsemane was were I teared up the most every night. This bore testimony of how our Savior knows each one of us individually (more tears). Then after the Crucifixion the minutes of complete darkness. Artistically done perfectly! Then a lone female voice starts to sing, then all females in the cast sing, "Long Live God". Then the male voices join in with, "Prepare ye, the way of the Lord". Then the spotlight shines on the Jesus character up in the loft while the singing is hopeful, joyful and praiseworthy.
WOW! I left every night of the performance feeling hopeful, grateful and happy.
Mrs. "G" did a fabulous job, as usual. All my fears were put to rest. I had hoped and even prayed that this would be an opportunity for Glenn to develop a closer relationship with our Father in Heaven and to his Saviour and didn't expect it to be me that got it.

2 comments:

Natalie Smith said...

What an amazing experience! You are a great example to your kids and friends Sheryl!

Koko said...

I had heard that it was fabulously done. I'm so grateful that Mrs. G was respectful and I'm so grateful for her talents and the love she has for all of her students. Good job helping...I truly don't think I would have been brave enough to chair the lobby decor! Good job! I'm sure Glenn is grateful (and also grateful that you finally wrote this up! haha).