Well it was a good run. I was the ward Primary President from Sept 2007 until June 2011. I had 2 different presidencies in that short time. I use to say to Dale, I don't know why I'm in here, "I just keep the trains running." I still think that is true. I know gospel truths were taught. Line upon line the kids learned a little bit every week. Though SR primary thought is was boring sometimes with nothing new. We helped add to the Firm Foundation that their parents already put down for them.
Then I look at were I was 3 1/2 years ago. I was in the process of questioning my relationship with God. Am I his daughter? What do I mean to Him? In trying to learn about the new calling, I turned to the handbook and the goal for primary is for the children to learn that they are a child of God and he loves them. I remember distinctly when I read that goal, I bawled my eyes out and could not read more for an hour or so. How could I teach what I don't know for myself? Then the Theme for the next entire year of Sharing Times was "I am a Child of God", I bawled some more. I didn't understand why everyone loved the song so much.
I still have room to grow, but I personally have grown in my relationship with my Heavenly Father. I say my prayers more frequently now and they are always sincere. I read scriptures nearly everyday now. My kids say I'm more patient now than I was 3 1/2 years ago (that's because JR primary drove me nuts, even till the last 5 minutes of it). I listen very closely when the song, "I am a Child of God" is sung. I hope to love it when I know more.
I loved the kids. That was easy. I loved their innocence. I loved teaching, that was mostly easy too. I didn't do home visits, wish I would have done that. I didn't reach out to less-actives either, I figured it was up to the parents more than me. I tired to follow the handbook as best as I understood it.
I loved the women I served with! I loved getting to know them all better. I loved watching them serve and them grow. I loved learning from them. I am grateful for this time that I had with these young brother and sisters of mine.
4 comments:
I think you were probably a better Primary president that you think you were. It must have been exhausting, and I can only imagine having to deal with jr primary!!!!!!!!!!! Now you can take a breath!
Primary was a happy place to be with you at the helm! I'm glad you see the growth in yourself and in the kids. That's pretty much what callings are all about -- how we grow ourselves (even missions) and at the same time hopefully help a few others. I'm glad teaching came easy for you...it took me a long time, I feel. Thank you for all you did for our ward and for those dear children!
I so loved serving with you. I smile whenever I remember just before I was officially called when we were at that RS retreat and sitting on the swing together (which hello, our paths rarely crossed at that time - love how Heavenly Father works!) You were wonderful in and for Primary. Now you get to exhale and await the next adventure. Love you, my friend.
I love you and I loved serving with you. i was SO grateful I got to know you. You are an amazing person. And I love how honest and aware you are of your testimony. I think a lot of us could benefit from being more like you.
Post a Comment