Wednesday, December 3, 2008

All things in moderation

I came home last night after a fun RS Enrichment and was conflicted.
I hate Christmas. No, I love Christmas. Ba-Hum-Bug in moderation.
I woke up at 2:30 AM and "accidentally" flushed the toilet so my hubby would wake up and I could talk to him, nothing new around here.
Just like in the scriptures, there are no solid famous stories or movies about women. Think about the following; It's a Wonderful Life, A Christmas Story, A Christmas Carol (even in all it's famous versions like Bill Murray or the Muppet's) the Grinch, White Christmas etc. Woman play an important but supportive roll.
Last night as 12 woman playfully sang the 12 days of Christmas stressed out version, very fun, I did not like how I felt. Oh, I had fun with it but I don't like the anger in me. I'm so conflicted.

Hubby suggested what I had already been thinking. I need to write my own story. Not based on 3 ghosts coming to visit a stressed out mom or a version of the world with out me or getting my glasses broke or "the show must go on" or stealing the good things about Christmas.

No my story is a conflicted woman who;
  • loves to bake and give things away
  • loves cards, connecting with old friends and extended family
  • loves to sing, when I can sound pretty
  • loves my Savior
  • does not know how to fight the gluttony of the world
  • why all the gifts have to wait for a single day? If I want someone to have a gift from me, why wait?
  • It is not even the real birthday!
  • I like Christmas music and decorations are fun but there is gluttony in that also.
  • A normal real and flawed mom, not a sainted memory

I long for simple. I ache for purity. I want peace on earth. I want peace in my home. I want peace in my soul.

3 comments:

lilibet said...

I never thought of that -- that men are always the focus of those Christmas movies/stories. Maybe it's because women were perceived as so trusting and good that they didn't need to learn lessons. Your story sounds like a good idea. I agree that the season is totally gluttonous, but I admit that all those lights really cheer me up in the dead of winter. I wish people would keep them up until spring. And I'm with you on the gift giving thing -- I can never wait.

Jamie said...

How about you only have to wait till the whole family is under the same roof?

Anonymous said...

Gosh you have such a smart and loving husband......;-p